Merits of Digital vs In-Person

 What a couple of weeks it has been! My brain is full and my body decided to rebel for a couple of days. Came down with a head cold, so I’ve stayed holed up in the hotel and rearranged my schedule to attend workshops that I could log into digitally.

Which prompts me to ponder the pros and cons of doing business online versus in-person.

I was comparing notes with a woman from Switzerland last week while I was still out and about and we both agreed that in-person, though expensive, is better. She is a veteran of CSW, coming every year and was very happy to back after a three year suspension due to COVID. We both agreed that the personal contacts are far better in person. It’s easier to have side conversations and to network. Ask any classroom teacher coming out of the pandemic- kids do better in the classroom as well!

But there are definitely positives for on-line. I’m very comfortable with a computer and my first two years after moving to Wyoming I continued a modified position with the Presbyteries I was working with thanks to on-line. I was already a veteran of  Zoom calls and on-line workshops and meetings. COVID , like everywhere caused our two churches to move to on-line worship virtually overnight (much like the schools). We all adapted, but it was not ever anyone’s favorite choice.

This is CSW’s first attempt at a hybrid meeting and the nature of organizing something that involves people from all end of the earth, it makes sense to offer both options. It has been amazing for to me to see women from countries I had perceived to be primitive to have delegates hosting Zoom meetings with PowerPoint and videos. That’s my privilege speaking! But how fantastic! Because of the online option over 11,000 women have been able to participate. A well organized Zoom meeting is probably more efficient than an in-person meeting as the host controls the microphone, the presentation and this keeps this on track. Of course it is less expensive, people from all over the world can attend for free. And, as I have just experienced, I didn’t have to attend in person and spread my germs .

So with all my napping today I was only able to take in one session today, “Women as Changemakers”.

And, Wow! We heard from a woman from Iran who explained in detail about the revolution that is currently underway in that country. This brutal regime has imprisoned and killed thousands. Since virgins can’t be put to death, they would rape them first. At first the people protested in the streets, but of late they are finding success in civil disobedience. Women have stopped wearing headscarves in public. They are ignoring the law and eating with men in public places they write messages on banknotes to call for gatherings. 

How can we help? Put political pressure and tell their stories.

Next, we heard from an Afghan woman. She works with women who were victims of acid attacks perpetrated against them since Taliban took over. Her foundation pays for reconstructive surgeries and then she  met with saffron farmers to secure employment for them so that they can support their families.

The men who disfigured them cannot be prosecuted because the acid attacks were “honor” punishments.

The final speaker was a teacher from Turkey. Her husband was kidnapped a tortured for thirteen days for names and then died. As a woman, she was not allowed to hire a lawyer. So she used her voice to protest while collecting evidence to clear his name. Eventually, the evidence was presented to the UN and they accepted her case. She has now opened a museum that collects information on crimes against humanity to be used against the government.

These stories need to be told .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Presente"

The Other Side

Circles